2020 was difficult, but it also gave us a lot to celebrate. In a year of many challenges we were still able to continue supporting our resilient clients thanks to our wonderful supporters. Our programmes have helped farmers in Uganda create sustainable livelihoods, provided jobs for young people across Africa and introduced thousands of refugees to digital financial services.
Benefiting Millions of Lives
With the hard work of our partner organisations in country, our UK staff persistently working from home, and the incredible ambition of our clients we managed to work with millions of clients in 2020. Here are just a few of our highlights from the past year...
- 3.6 million children benefiting from our education programme. Keeping children in school for longer and improving the quality of their education
- 1.5 million clients with access to better quality water and sanitation facilities in Ghana
- 2,780 refugees trained in financial literacy in Uganda
You can read more in the Annual Summary publication and also get a transparent overview of how we are using the money that was so generously donated in 2020. The statistics speak for themselves in showing success, but the real impact can be seen in the stories we receive from our clients. Such as Fati and her story of how Opportunity helped to transform her farm in northern Ghana…
“My biggest challenge with my farm is how big it is. I don’t have enough money to buy fertiliser to put on the land to make it fertile. We got two forms of training, one on financial literacy and the other on how to cultivate sorghum - we learned a lot. I only completed
primary school so I have a very little education. I have never had training in how to manage money or how to farm.”
Read more about Fati’s success and hear from other Opportunity International clients in the Celebration Update and Annual Summary publications. Where you’ll also find:
- Letters from our Patron HRH The Princess Royal and our Chairman
- An interesting history timeline showing a narrative journey through the 50 years of Opportunity International so far
- Interviews from supporters who have been with us for more than 25 years and also with those who have recently joined us on our journey
We’re proud to have achieved so much in 50 years and humbled by those of you who have supported us at all the different stages of our journey. You can read interviews with some of our loyal supporters in the celebration update.